Monday 18 March 2013

Beautiful Souls - Eternal Fruit



I fell in love with New Faith Family Children's Home the second I stepped foot on its grounds. The first time I met the kids, they were having dinner. Before I had time to even think about where I should sit, I see a bright smile and a hand waving excitedly at me. Next, little Joy runs up to me, grabs my hand and brings me to her table. She runs off to get a chair for me and makes sure I sit right beside her and begins to share her plate of food with me. 

Looking back, there were times when I felt like I was thrown into such negative funks. I became frustrated that we were constantly doing things. It felt like we were going nonstop, with no time to ourselves. Especially when we did tedious construction work at the Jaz home and man! I never want to hear about grouting again! However, the Lord gently reminded me was that it was not about me. Josie's Angels deserve the absolute best, and all I knew was  that I needed to give my best. In retrospect, I feel so grateful that my teammates and I were able to be a part of building the wall and fences surrounding their house. 

On Wednesday morning, from 8 to 12, our team took on the challenge of entertaining fifty kids at Cuatro Community School. I was extremely impressed with the turn out, especially since we planned it out on such short notice. We ran short workshops of educational games, such as math games, memory games, games to practice English, and Bible games. We worked it out so that it was three to one ratio, fifteen minutes per game and then we would take on a new group of kids! 

I was in charge of one of the Bible stations. I started out by asking what their favorite verses were, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that each kid knew their personal favorite verse by heart. After that, I shared about Daniel and his friends, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. It was not the first time they heard this Bible story, but they were amazed at the loyalty between the friends, their radical faith, and trust in God when it meant the most. The coolest part in sharing with these kids was when I asked them to draw pictures of what all of it meant to them personally. And before they went on to a new station, I got to pray with and for them! 

The highlight of my trip was being able to take part in bringing food to the poorest of the poorest.    We went to a place called "Tent City". Tent City is located out in the middle of nowhere. Because of the isolated location, the father of the families will often go into the city to make money. However, by the time he pays for his way into the city, a place to stay, and the way home, he is left with barely any money for his wife and children. The children of Tent City are often neglected, unwanted and abandoned. Something I will never forget is seeing the looks of desperation on each face. Yet they were so ready to welcome us into their homes, into their lives, even if only for a short while.

Another thing that I enjoyed greatly was time spent with my teammates and leaders during devotions and sharing testimonies. I appreciated how quickly everyone was willing to accept and love on one another, and even to be extremely vulnerable and real with one another. I loved that we were able to learn one another’s weaknesses and strong points. I love that we were able to edify and pray for one another. I loved each and every moment of it and will always hold these times with the Manila team 2013 close to my heart. 

I started out this week regretting coming on this trip. But as it is coming to an end, I find myself quite sad. I want more time. I want to get to know them more and on a deeper level. “Why aren’t you crying, tita?” Why wasn’t I crying when everyone else was saying tear-filled goodbyes. That kept me thinking. But then I realized, you know what? It’s not that I am not sad to say goodbye; I hate goodbyes. I just know that I can leave with full confidence that each child is in good hands. They are in God’s hands. I suppose you could say we really did find love in a hopeless place.

Will you carry His heart? Dearest teammates and leaders, my hope is that we would bring to remembrance the things we have experienced. Usually we are told not to look back but to look to what God has planned for us. I agree with that completely. But every so often, I hope that you would look back. That you would visit and treasure those darling memories. That you would remember their openness towards a complete stranger. I hope that you would always recall the reckless love of the Father which shines through the children of Manila. That you might desire to reciprocate that in your own life, bring Manila wherever you go. Remember, God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power and discipline. He’s not done with you and I.

All my love,
- Tabby

No comments:

Post a Comment