Thursday 14 March 2013

Being a teacher for a day

Teaching kids is fulfilling but extremely tiring! A mere four hours teaching third and second graders left me tired and exhausted.

Our job for the day was to use games to teach kids. My partner and I created two games that we would use to teach math. When I went into the first classroom, I was greeted by a familiar smiling face of one girl I played with at the children's home. I was excited to see her and her happiness to see me warmed my heart. Soon after, I began playing the first game with the kids. The first group of third graders was relatively well behaved, and we managed to get through both games and have a lot of fun! But as the time passed, the kids got restless. I then decided a more active game would be appropriate and thought of a game on the spot. The children really enjoyed it and I too felt happy! I was also able to interact the with children as they talked and played with me. It was great meeting many new kids and seeing all their different personalities. Some were crazy, others naughty, and some well behaved. I got to play with all of them and my abilities to keep each of them engaged and on task were tested. I ran around with a few kids, wrestled with energetic boys, and talked to chatty girls. Though some kids were hard to control and I had to improvise a lot, I still had a good time! By the end of it all, my energy was gone but I felt happy that I was able to teach all the kids in a fun and interesting way.

As I reflect on the day and being with the kids, I marvel at my teachers' ability to keep us students listening and always learning more. Just half a school day was extremely chaotic and it was very hard physically as well as mentally. I am amazed at my teachers and how they manage to be happy and excited to teach each new day! Through my experience of teaching kids, I have not only been able to interact with children, but also developed a deeper appreciation for all my teachers!

-Justin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment