Wednesday 16 March 2016

Frances - Kids in Manila :-)

Manila is great, the kids are great, the food is great, and even the construction is great. :) This country is full of such kind and caring people and I've loved getting to know the children through working at the children's home and playing with kids in the community. Often there will be kids hanging around the street at the gate next to the place we are staying and whenever I have free time I go and talk to them. Our conversations are quite amusing as we talk about anything from what we did that day to music we like. One day, we went out to the community and invited kids to play sports down in the court. I played basketball for around three hours with a thirteen year old boy named Manny (who was way better than me ;)). Whenever he shot a three I would yell "Steph Curry!" and we would both smile and laugh. Later, when we went to the market, I found a Golden State Warriors shirt with Curry on the back and I bought it for him. I just gave it to him yesterday and today I noticed he was wearing it. :) Another kid that I bonded with was a girl named Marlyn at the children's home. On one of the first days she ran up to me and insistently demanded to be on my shoulders. I ran around for hours with her and we played in the playground and played tag in the field and even though my whole body ached I would carry through because of her sweet smile and laugh. On the last night, she would pretend to hug other people as I would say, "I'll miss you! I love you!" But when Miss Bandy and Miss Cantrell called that there was only one minute left, she jumped into my arms and I carried her until the very last moment when I exited the gate. The kids here are so amazing and I've loved truly taking time to get to know them and spend as much time with them as possible.

This photo very accurately describes the relationship between Marlyn and me :):) Mahal kita Marlyn <3


No comments:

Post a Comment