Wednesday 14 March 2012

Josie

     Today we met Josie; one of the world's best human beings. She has overcome so much struggle and pain in her life yet she has persevered and used it for the greater good. At the age of 19 she packed up and moved half way across the world to America. When living with a less than great role model she started to make poor choices and get entangled with sin. She became a wild child. After a year of this lifestyle Josie hit rock bottom in her relationship with God and her life. She called up her parents and asked for help, this was the start to her recovery process. She moved back to Manila, vowing to stay only for one year to fix up her life. Throughout her time here, girls on the street would always come up to her and ask her to hang out. She was completely uninterested and even annoyed by the consent presence of them. One day while talking to her father he convinced her to hang out with the street girls once and then she could be done with it. With hesitation she agreed, this one visit turned into once a week bible studies. While outside before the bible study Josie saw one of her girls limping, trailing behind the rest. She walked up to her and asked what was wrong, then she saw that the girl's whole leg was swollen because of a small cut that turned into a large infection. This moment changed Josie's life forever. Picking the girl up and carrying her to a doctor, Josie decided that she had to stop this cycle of neglect and abuse among these local girls; and Josie's Angels came to life. Josie's Angels grew into a safe haven for the broken. Ranging from ages 6 to18. The JAZ house is the epitome of God's home. Filled with color, life, and giant smiles the home is a place for the girl's at their best and at the worst.

     I have experienced these girls first hand, and they are some of the most loving people I've ever met. I have come to know a girl named Ella. She is 18 and has had a life that no one could ever deserve. But I think that I need her more than she needs me. By getting to know her I have learned how to care for someone greatly in a short amount of time. The teachers on this trip always talk about a moment that defines you, and I have had one. I sat down to give my devotion and at the end I asked her if she had any questions she wanted to ask me about my personal life. We sat there and she looked me straight in the eyes and asked what is it like to have a family.  My heart broke. So many times we count girls like these out because they live in such far off places and seem unreachable, but they are as real as you and me.

-Remy

3 comments:

  1. That is such a moving and touching story! I wish I could have met Josie and Ella!
    -Jeffrey's Sister:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad that Josie's leg was so swollen from such a little cut:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could go to a service trip like that! You guys seem to be meeting a lot of new friends. I would like to tell stories with henna designs, and so on. It sounds like your trip is STINKIN' AWESOME! I'm sooooo glad that y'all are coming home today!

    ReplyDelete